Tuesday, 11 November 2014
Bukit Lawang-Mount Leuser National Park
In 2012 the owners of Bukit Lawang Leuser Jungle began extensive renovations which were completed (mostly!) in March 2014. The new building was built by local craftsmen using a combination of wood and stones to create a very light and airy open plan space which has amazing views of the rainforest.
The guest rooms at Bukit Lawang leuser Jungle were built in September 2014 and are nestled amongst the treetops on the hill behind the restaurant. The trees are often visited by long tail macaques (close your doors and windows!) and Thomas leaf monkeys (check out their haircuts) . All rooms have:
- Large balconies with brilliant views of the rainforest. - -- Comfortable beds with mosquito nets (beds made in situ by local craftsmen from black bamboo).
- Individually designed bathrooms with …a view of the rainforest (western style toilet).
Pool Table – Book Swap – Art Gallery – Teach English to local kids – Live Music Play Guitar or Bongo – Chillout Zone (great views, hammocks and cushions etc).
"Conservation Corner” We have a collection of photos, nature books, factsheets, scientific journal articles etc. Why not learn a bit about the amazing wildlife of GLNP over a beer or fruit juice. The wall is decorated with orangutan facts and collages made by next doors kids. It’s a work in progress so come along and draw/paint/ a rainforest inspired picture for our gallery! (see orangutan and wildlife webpages for further info).
Bukit Lawang Leuser Jungle is also a great base to explore the local area:
- It’s a short walking distance to other cafes and guest houses – check them out.
- Swim in the beautiful Bohorok river (ask us to show you the best spots).
- Join in a game of football down at the camp ground, every day 4 – 6pm.
- Try local fast food at a ‘Warung ‘ (food stall).
- Go shopping and buy a souvenier at one of the gift shops down river